WHAT IS SPIRULINA?
Spirulina is blue green algae, a fresh and truly living, complete super-food. Spirulina is one of the richest nutrients and one of the most complete food sources found in the world. It contains over 100 nutrients, more than any other plant, grain or herb. Today, Spirulina is widely used as a food supplement to maintain health, boost energy and reduce weight. The green pigment is chlorophyll and the blue pigment is phycocyanin. Phycocyanin is a very powerful antioxidant and is the primary source of Spirulina’s high protein and nutritional profile.
WHERE DOES YOUR SPIRULINA COME FROM? HOW IS IT GROWN AND HARVESTED?
Spirulina For Life is the largest and most trusted source of Spirulina in the US. Our Spirulina is grown and harvested in sunny south Florida. It is grown and harvested in fully enclosed ponds using fresh alkaline artesian well water from 600 feet below the earth’s surface. It is also highly mineralized making it ideal for Spirulina to thrive. Our harvesting process continues to evolve and is both unique and proprietary which allows us to provide our clients with the healthiest live spirulina on the market. We harvest our Spirulina daily and perform daily quality tests to ensure that we are optimizing our harvest at the peak of our Spirulina’s development.
IS YOUR SPIRULINA ORGANIC?
When considering whether something is organic or not organic, the governing bodies do not differentiate between terrestrial plants and aquatic plants. The important take away from that statement is the fertilizer requirements for both aquatic and terrestrial plants are undifferentiated. This requires you to use a plant-based fertilizer for the growth of your organic product.
There are spirulina producers that do produce organic spirulina, however these are only available in the powder form. There is no frozen product available that meets organic standards. To meet organic standards, we must add an extremely heavy dose of organic fertilizer like soy meal, alfalfa meal, etc. directly to the water. It cannot be enzymatically digested or processed for break down. This leaves a lot of residual biomass in the water that can interfere and sometimes stagnate the growth of our product. It clouds the water, gives a favorable environment for predator production, and doesn’t allow us to produce a quality product. Not only that, but the residual biomass would be left over in the frozen product, causing a foul odor and taste. The only reason that organic powdered spirulina producers can do this is because they are cooking their product and burning it all together so that it makes one sort of “mesh” product. Our product is far superior to any of those products based on taste, smell, and cellular structure.
There are several key components to the organic certification that we strictly adhere to and they are as follows:
- pesticide Free
- Herbicide Free
The above criteria are extremely important for our product and company, as well as to the certified organic label. And although we cannot classify our product as certified organic, we are proud of our product and ensure that it is of the highest quality.
WHY IS IT GOOD FOR ME? WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Medical research has shown that Spirulina can actually help in fighting some illnesses. In some cases Spirulina can even be used to fight viruses.
Spirulina helps the body heal itself! Below are some additional benefits of Spirulina:
- Spirulina Is Extremely High in many Nutrients
- Spirulina Has Powerful Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Properties
- Studies show that Spirulina Can Lower LDL and Triglyceride Levels
- Spirulina Protects LDL Cholesterol From Becoming Oxidized
- Spirulina Appears to Have Anti-Cancer Properties
- Studies show that it may reduce blood pressure
- Studies show that it may improve symptoms of allergic rhinitis
- Spirulina may be effective against anemia and other illnesses
- Muscle strength and endurance may improve
- Spirulina may help with blood sugar control
WHAT IS IN YOUR SPIRULINA?
Our Spirulina is 100% Natural and 100% bio-available. It is known as the most complete food source in the world! It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals, nutrients and all 9 of the body’s essential amino acids.
- Spirulina is in itself 70% + protein. 95% is wholly digestible.
- It contains over 50 x more iron than spinach
- It contains over 20 x more calcium than milk
- And 20 x more beta carotene than carrots
We recommend that you consume our Spirulina on an empty stomach in order to maximize nutrient absorption.
HOW IS YOUR LIVE SPIRULINA DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SOURCES OF RAW LIVE SPIRULINA?
Most suppliers of live Spirulina source their product from open bodies of water such as lakes or ponds. Our Spirulina is grown using aquaponics in fully enclosed ponds specifically to eliminate the potential of any contaminants from entering the ponds. Our Spirulina is completely tasteless / odorless and can can be purchased Fresh / Raw or Frozen . We never cook or dry our products so that you receive 100% of its active vitamins, minerals, nutrients and amino acids. This makes it one of nature’s most powerful super-foods!
Our Live and Frozen Spirulina is 100% bioavailable. All of its nutrients can be absorbed by the body and you’ll be able to reap all of its amazing benefits!
DO YOU SELL SPIRULINA IN THE POWDER OR PILL FORM?
NO ! Powders and Pills are usually grown in poor water quality, have an unpleasant taste and are cooked at over 200 degrees celsius until dry. The drying process degrades the vitamins, minerals and nutrients and essentially depletes all of its bioavailability. Once heated / dried, only about 20% of its original nutritional value remains.
WHO SHOULD TAKE SPIRULINA?
- Children who don’t like or eat enough vegetables.
- Teenagers during their rapid growing period need a sufficient intake of nutrients. Spirulina is ideal for this.
- Seniors who have difficulty in meeting daily nutrition requirements.
- Sports lovers or athletes who need extra nutrients to keep their energy levels up.
- Today’s society who doesn’t have enough time to eat healthy meals.
- Patients or people who need high volumes of nutrients to assist with their recovery. (Consult your doctor)
- Vegan/Vegetarians who require a source of extra nutrients.
CAN I GIVE SPIRULINA TO MY CHILDREN? ...MY GRANDPARENTS? ...MY PETS?
Yes, Spirulina is safe for people of all ages including pets and livestock. According to the Global Spirulina Network:
- Calcium is needed to build the skeleton, muscle activation and blood coagulation.
- Iron prevents anemia, involved in the production of energy, and directly affects the mood and attention span of children.
- Vitamin A has a vital role in strengthening the local defense mechanisms against infections.
- Zinc plays an important role in the process of growth, wound healing and immunity.
- Magnesium is necessary for the proper functioning of the heart, nerves and bowel.
- B vitamins are essential for normal bowel activity, metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates and fats
When it comes to pets, the recommended serving amount of Living Spirulina is .5 ounces per 50 pounds of weight, per day.
HOW MUCH SPIRULINA SHOULD I TAKE? IS THERE A SUGGESTED SERVING AMOUNT? WHEN SHOULD I TAKE IT?
We recommend that you consume at least 1 serving or more of Spirulina per day. It is ideal to take your first serving of Spirulina in the morning when you wake up in order to maximize absorption.
Our Frozen Spirulina is a nutritious addition to any of your existing meals or beverages. Add our Spirulina to any recipe for a boost of superfood nutrition!
- Meal replacement
- Add to your morning smoothie
- Mix in with salad dressing
- Mix with water
- Mix into yogurt
- Add to a facial mask
- Increase vitamin intake for children and seniors
- Boost your pet’s nutrition
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE YOUR SPIRULINA?
You can purchase our live spirulina products online or at your local Farmers Market.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECEIVE YOUR SPIRULINA?
We take great care to ship our Spirulina to you via FedEx or UPS Ground or Air and utilize dry ice to preserve the product. We usually ship on Monday’s and Tuesday’s. Customers can choose to receive shipments within 1-3 business days to ensure quality.